Mystery Click/Clunk

Mystery Click/Clunk

Postby AndrewGLS on Fri Sep 06, 2024 2:13 pm

Hey everyone,

I've got a 22.5 GLS which has developed a sound which is only really noticable on deceleration. It started as a braking noise but I can also recreate it when manually changing down a gear.
Initially I thought it might be the brakes, which seemed logical, but everything there seems fine.

I was due a service so took it back to where I bought it for them to have a look at.

So far they have had the ute for almost 2 weeks all up and they can't figure it out. They've had more senior mitsubishi engineers check it out and they also can't figure it out. They still have the ute and have asked me to go back next week to go for a drive with one of their techs to see if we can work it out. They've heard the sound and been able to recreate the sound by themselves so I think it's a bit weird they need me out there too.

Anyway, I searched this forum and the general consensus seems to be something relating to control arm bolts when there's a clink/clunk like this. They all seem fine.

The dealer I took it to has even taken the steering assembly (not sure exactly how much but definitely the knuckle) off a brand new Paj Sport and swapped it with mine, without any resolution.

There was some discussion that it could be backlash in the front diff. Obviously thats a bit harder to swap out.

Anyway, just wanted to start a bit of discussion here about the problem, the service experience and hopefully eventually a solution. The guy who has been handling it has been very professional and pleasant to deal with, but I would love to get it fixed and 2 weeks seems like it's taking a bit long to trace down the source of this sound.
AndrewGLS

Re: Mystery Click/Clunk

Postby AndrewGLS on Mon Sep 16, 2024 3:26 pm

I went out there last Monday to go for a drive with one of their techs and the sound was gone.
Stoked!
Took the ute away and 10 min later it's doing it again so I took it back to them.
Not a peep out of the dealer all week so I emailed them for an update.

They havent gone as far as blaming the bullbar (TJM Outback) but I get the feeling they are looking for a scapegoat and an exit strategy based on the tone of their communication which is very frustrating.

It has been with them on and off (mostly on) for 4 weeks now and my patience is running thin. I've been mostly happy with my ute so far but it seems crazy to me that professional technicians can have a vehicle for almost a month and not find the source of a sound which is easy to recreate.
AndrewGLS

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Sep 17, 2024 8:46 am

Reminds me of a noise I had in my first Commodore. Noise from the rear end. Dealer had it on two occasions with the car not even looked at one day.

In the end I tied a microphone to various locations and isolated the sound to the diff.
Went to another dealer and they identified a faulty diff carrier. Problem fixed. Know where I bought next unit?

Re your issue, your ride would have spent much time at 'rest' at the dealer. I would suggest another dealer or mechanic have a look. Before that though, have a careful look over the vehicle for any loose objects.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Sep 18, 2024 9:09 pm

I had a similar, although not exactly the same, experience a few years ago. Turns out it was the LCA bolts that had been done up just a touch too tight. Released and re-torqued and the clunk was gone.

It may or may not be this but I mention it because you have to try everything it could be, plus a few things that (you think) it couldn't be, to find it. Sometimes "seems fine" isn't quite enough.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Return to Servicing